Contacting the Environmental Health department

A letter you can copy


Environmental Health is a department of every local council. You should be able to find their contact details on your council’s website, or by Googling ‘environmental health’ and the name of your town or area.

Read our page on contacting Environmental Health before you use this letter. It’s not a suitable action for every type of problem.

What to do:

  • Copy and paste the text below into an email or the contact form on your council website.
  • Replace any text [in brackets] with your own information
  • Include details {in curly brackets} if they are relevant, or remove them if they are not.
  • Send the email to the Environmental Health department, submit it via the council website or print out the document and send it by post.
  • If you are sending by post, keep a copy for yourself and a record of the date that the message was sent.

[Your address]
[Today’s date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a tenant of [your building/address] and I am writing to inform you of a problem with my accommodation which I have been unable to resolve directly with my landlord after [number] weeks and repeated attempts at communication.

[Describe the issue]

I believe this to be a [hazard to mental health/hazard to physical health/serious issue of safety] for [myself/myself and my family members/myself and other tenants in the flat/block].

I would be grateful if you could contact me for further discussion of this issue and guidance as to my next steps.

I can be contacted on [email address and/or phone number].

Many thanks. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

[Sign your name]
[Print your name]