Contacting the Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman Service is an independent organisation which resolves disputes between tenants and social landlords.

The service is free, independent and impartial.

They regulate social landlords (housing associations and local authorities), and some private landlords and letting agents who have volunteered to be registered.

You can check if your landlord is included here.

What can I complain about?

The Housing Ombudsman deals with complaints about how a landlord has responded to a problem that you’ve raised. They don’t deal with the problem itself, but can help you to resolve the dispute.

Some examples of why you might contact the Housing Ombudsman include:

  • Your landlord is refusing to deal with an issue.
  • Your landlord has dealt with an issue, but has done so in a way that still leaves problems.
  • Your landlord has treated you unfairly.
  • Your landlord has not abided by the terms of your tenancy agreement.

When should I contact the Housing Ombudsman?

It’s important to note that you can only contact the Housing Ombudsman when you have been through the landlord’s own complaints procedure and they have sent you a final response.

So, before contacting the Housing Ombudsman, you must have:

  • Notified your landlord of the issue, and given them a chance to respond

You can find letters you can copy here.

  • Sent a follow-up letter to complain to your landlord that you did not receive a response, or the response did not solve the issue

Here’s how to send a follow-up letter.

  • Lodged a formal complaint through your landlord’s own complaints procedure
  • Received a formal notification from your landlord that the complaint has been dealt with and the matter is closed.

And you must NOT have started any legal proceedings.

At this point, the Housing Ombudsman also advises that you contact a ‘designated person‘. This could be your local councillor or an MP who can help try to resolve the problem.

Here’s information on how to contact your MP or councillors.

You don’t have to do this, but if you don’t, you must wait eight weeks from your landlord’s final response before you contact the Housing Ombudsman.

What will happen?

  • For straightforward cases, the Ombudsman will make suggestions to both you and your landlord on what steps to take to resolve the issue. This might include doing repairs, or offering compensation.
    Or they might find that the landlord has not done anything wrong.
  • If the issue does not fall within their area of work, they may refer you to a different organisation that can help.
  • For very complex cases, the Ombudsman may start an investigation.

Read this

The Housing Ombudsman publish case studies that show how they have resolved disputes previously. It’s good to read these to get a picture of some typical outcomes.

Related guides

Tools you can use

Contacting Environmental Health

When should you contact the Environmental Health department?
A letter box. Image by Dele Oke A letter box. Image by Dele Oke

Tools you can use

Contacting your local councillor or MP

Your elected representatives, like MPs and Councillors, can help you with your housing issues. Here’s information on how to get in touch.
A woman throwing paper planes A woman throwing paper planes

Tools you can use

Contacting your landlord

Tips and letter templates to help you communicate with your landlord when there’s something wrong, or you want to find out more.
Two doors with a staircase between them. Photo by Nick Chalkiadakis Two doors with a staircase between them. Photo by Nick Chalkiadakis

Tools you can use

Making a formal complaint

If you have made a request to your landlord and you’re not getting results, then what can you do next to get things fixed?